Blog Entry – Research and Project Updates 8

This week, I worked on transforming my game, Hopshock, to an art piece that has no interactivity from user. As of right now, I am done with it. I do feel like I might need to adjust the wheel speed as the character’s animation does not look that appealing. (Mind you, Not many people can actually survive that long in the game to see the animation looking weird.) Through the process of de-gaming it, I realized how much the UI and the game are connected together. I would change or remove a few pieces and break a bunch of other things. The process took longer to debug than making the autojumper. The way I created the autojumper was a basic collider detection. As the ring collides with the node, the character passes true boolean to the touch control script. I did not have to rewrite any prior code to get it to work.

The only worry I had with the de-game version was Unity crashing after a few hours of the game running continuously. If it did crash, I had a plan in place that would reset the game after so many hours. Thankfully, it did not. So no need for the reset-er. I also spend some time upgrading some graphics and optimation of the game. I baked and removed some lights in the scene. The lighting in the forground was off, I adjusted that. Since Unity had been upgraded, I had to recreate the color grading and other post processing effects. After all the updates and fixes, the game runs from 30-40 fps on an iPad Air 2 which I capped at 30.

 

Other projects I have been working at work, Photogrammetry. My boss was interested in it for a project. We have been testing it with this camera. Unfortunately, we have not had success. I believe the camera we are trying to photograph has a smooth, black, and glossy surface. I am trying a new way with the same object but trying to cross polarize the lighting. I am hoping it will pull some detail out and help the process.

 

As for the interactive frame, I am still reading about the speech to text. I will be implementing at least one next week for testing. I will focus on the default Microsoft one as it is already embedded with Windows.

 


ALSO for game studio class. We ran into issues with colliders breaking and we had a mess of triggers and colliders. I found a function that would of solved some of these issues. So for the future:

Physics.IgnoreCollision(col1, col2);

https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Physics.IgnoreCollision.html